Friday 1 July 2011

LM Mongtomery describes herself

As we worked on the trousseau dresses we referred to Lucy Maud Montgomery's Journals to get as much information as possible about her size and preferences for style and colour of clothing.  Below is a recent photo of five of the dresses - they measure have a 24" waist, 34" hips and a 34" bust.
The following in excerpt from her journal (page 392) entry on December 13, 1920 - this is one of the most indepth physical description I have found.
"...I am of medium height - about 5'-5", but somehow usually impress people as being small - probably because I am delicate featured and have been, until lately, very slight.  My feet are quite large in proportion to my size - I wear number 4s - but they are said to be "perfectly shaped" and I have a high instep and good ankle.  My figure has generally been described as "neat".  I hate the term but i believe it is true...my hands are exceedingly small.  I wear a 5 3/4 glove but could wear 5 1/2.  If my hands were plump they would be very pretty, but they are too thin for beauty, especially when I am cold...I have pretty, well turned delicately made wrists but my arms and elbow are too thin...old rose and salmon, pinks, creams, and yellows become me in colour and I look well in black, brown and navy.  My enemies accuse me of being "fond of dress".  They charge is perfectly true.  I am very fond of pretty dresses, hats and jewelery and cannot enjoy myself if I do not feel well dressed...I do not feel happy when I am alone if I am not prettily dressed.  I am especially fond of lace, pearls and diamonds."

In 1910 L.M.Montgomery went to Boston to meet with her publishers, the LePage Company, while there she recorded in her journal buying a dress - to give you an idea of her thoughts at the time here is an excerpt from her journal (page 26) dated November 29th, 1910.
"...I got a brown broad cloth suite and an exquisite afternoon dress of old rose cloth, hand embroidered in pink silk.  This last garment cost $80.  My old ingrained, economical instincts gave a loud squalk of protest as i said  "I'll take it," but I heeded them not.  There was no reason why I should.  Yet I don't think I shall be able to spend money like this without an effort.  I shall always have to remind myself that I can afford it - always have to appease my conscience by tell it that $80 means no more to me now than 8 once did.  There have been very few years in my life where $80 would not have covered the cost of all the clothes I got in that year."

Quotes above come from The selected Journals of LM Montgomery 1910-1921 Edited by Mary Rubio and Elizabeth Waterston. 

1 comment:

  1. Arnold, I was privileged to see Maude Montgomery's complete trousseau in your basement workshop before it was it was parceled out to different destinations. It is an exquisite tribute to her 100th wedding anniversary. Indeed, her literary creativity is matched only by your own vision and genius.

    ReplyDelete